Avgwarhawk

I just like the pictures...

1,191 posts in this topic

Funny how they staged these ad pictures for post cards to promote a new hotel or restaurant.  Always parked a nice new Cadi or Buick in front to give a classy and prosperous look.  An old logo went, "Keep America beautiful; drive a Buick!"

Funny to think: before the days of twitting a picture of your dinner, you mailed a post card to show off your vacation and dinning adventures.

1 hour ago, Father Buick said:

Funny how they staged these ad pictures for post cards to promote a new hotel or restaurant.  Always parked a nice new Cadi or Buick in front to give a classy and prosperous look.  An old logo went, "Keep America beautiful; drive a Buick!"

Funny to think: before the days of twitting a picture of your dinner, you mailed a post card to show off your vacation and dinning adventures.

We have lost something along the way.... 

1 hour ago, Avgwarhawk said:

We have lost something along the way.... 

Indeed we have. I was a year old when my Mom & Dad drove a brand new Chevy from my hometown in central Cuba to Havana and took a ferry to Key West diving the car all the way to Pennsylvania I believe it took them about 4 days back then. Of course I could not remember but as I grew up I saw decorative paper plates settings and postcards from the restaurants and motels they have visited and were mailed with handwritten greetings to the family. Father Buick, thanks for making me rewind.

wndsofchng06 and Avgwarhawk like this

29 minutes ago, elpad said:

Indeed we have. I was a year old when my Mom & Dad drove a brand new Chevy from my hometown in central Cuba to Havana and took a ferry to Key West diving the car all the way to Pennsylvania I believe it took them about 4 days back then. Of course I could not remember but as I grew up I saw decorative paper plates settings and postcards from the restaurants and motels they have visited and were mailed with handwritten greetings to the family. Father Buick, thanks for making me rewind.

What I have noticed is the diminishing Christmas cards each year.  My wife and I will be married 24 years this April.  Every year my wife sends out Christmas cards faithfully.  50 or so.  The returns have amounted to next to nothing over the past 24 years.    The cards are more personal in my opinion.   Someone took the time to write something, seal and mail.   Today is an obligatory non-feeling post on Facebook to all in under a second.  Job done.      

wndsofchng06 likes this

D3B647E3-D6EA-47E5-9BF5-7717B69968C1.jpegDon’t know if is a true convertible or not, Cubans these days are known to cut off the tops to register the cars as tourists 🚕 taxis