1954 Buick Forum - the 54 Buick Highway

I can't believe it, I've been dreading it, but I just buckled up and jumped in. I took the wiper motor out of Mary Jane and took it appart. Cleaned it all up and regreased the edges of the vaccum paddle to help with the vaccum. I was going to put an electric motor if I couldn't it to working. But what do you know, it works as new. (Which isn't saying much):biggrin: So don't be afraid you-all, just jump in and get-her done. Took the pics as I took her apart.:dirol::i-m_so_happy:

Thank you sir. I will use white lithium. I have sprayed WD40 into the motor and it helped some but I feel it could be better. I will disassemble and clean up this weekend.

I just have this habit of wanting to drive it all the time and waiting on repairing the wipers.

I ordered my headliner and wind lace. :) A few weeks I will receive and install!!!

Spraying lube in from the outside, dosen't get where it needs to be. You'll see when you take it apart. This is probably the most important item to clean as it can let vaccum to escape if some dirt gets under it. Its the slide valve that your cable opperates. :dirol::i-m_so_happy: As you can see, there is dirt on the left side of the plate and it was a little gritty too.

Very interesting and quite helpful. I have had other cars with vacuum wipers that needed some help, but never had the nerve to take them apart. Next time I will use your technique as I like to "tinker" with things that others avoid.

When I finish, I will either have fixed it, or fixed it so no one else can fix it!

Fred

If the shaft is coming out of the mount the wiper transmission is broken. I have seen wiper transmission for sale on ebay. Search "wiper transmission."

As side note, last night at the cruise in it began to pour buckets. Granted these wipers will not part the Red Sea during a down pour but moderate rain they do ok.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...