1954 Buick Forum - the 54 Buick Highway

Time to put Almendron together

3 minutes ago, elpad said:

That’s what they said but it could have been made for some lawn garden tractors

I looked at the O'Reilly site.  They carry a 425 CCA 3EE battery and a 1025 CCA 3EE(holy Moses!)   

I'm just glad there are 3EE available.  Helps with keeping the correct look.   I see many using battery toppers that look like the OE but only cover a battery off the shelf at the local auto parts store. 

Further, your 54 is correct to the nut and bolt.  It is only fitting to purchase the truly period correct battery with DELCO caps, etc.   It really finishes the look under the hood.    

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unexpected Best of Show

Almendrón latest pictures, March 2018

All good, Almendrón good 2.. thank you all for concerns

Posted Images

I've been running a Duracell in my Special for almost 3 years now., and haven't had any issues.  The car sees more action in the winter months. than summer. So plenty of 20 degree mornings it has fired right up. I do really like the original look of the Delco though.

• 1 month later...

Good news and bad news. The good is Almendrón was chosen again for Havana Classics exhibition within the Miami International Auto Show. last year it was cancelled due to the hurricane. The setting was no finish yet but it looks like it will show nice under the lights. The bad, I drove it there on 7 cylinders with hardly no power on take off. As soon as the show is finish on 10/13,2018, it will be towed straight to the mechanic. Will keep you posted.

C42D87AC-1C5E-465C-A73D-97BF41767D99.jpeg

300F2955-CC34-422A-B961-C3A3B9BEE044.jpeg

7 hours ago, elpad said:

Good news and bad news. The good is Almendrón was chosen again for Havana Classics exhibition within the Miami International Auto Show. last year it was cancelled due to the hurricane. The setting was no finish yet but it looks like it will show nice under the lights. The bad, I drove it there on 7 cylinders with hardly no power on take off. As soon as the show is finish on 10/13,2018, it will be towed straight to the mechanic. Will keep you posted.

C42D87AC-1C5E-465C-A73D-97BF41767D99.jpeg

300F2955-CC34-422A-B961-C3A3B9BEE044.jpeg

Good luck!

Looking good!  

We went through battery drama all last year.  First reproduction battery was crap.  Still under warranty but no replacement battery available.  Ended up showing with the 3EE tow motor battery and the judges were forgiving.  Now the reproduction battery source is under new ownership and back up running.  Took a while to get the battery after I ordered in Dec 2017.  The new owners didn’t start back up until early summer.  So far, new battery hasn’t given us any problems.  

Went through the same thing with mine, ordered in February 1st and got it just about 3 weeks ago, makes a hell of a difference from the tow motor one. I guess mine was the new owners batch. I used to call Wayne every month and gave me different excuses but at least he answered the phone. Maybelle, must be the same folks you ordered from 

From my understanding the judges are ok with a new battery with battery topper making it appear original.   They kind of have to be forgiving as we are very limited to getting authentic looking batteries. 

I have done ok with the 3EE tow motor battery.    I did find a sticker on ebay that make the battery look authentic.  Sure can't find a battery topper for these long batteries!  

5 hours ago, elpad said:

Went through the same thing with mine, ordered in February 1st and got it just about 3 weeks ago, makes a hell of a difference from the tow motor one. I guess mine was the new owners batch. I used to call Wayne every month and gave me different excuses but at least he answered the phone. Maybelle, must be the same folks you ordered from 

Wayne was who I finally got my new battery from.  He told me a bit about the drama with the other place my original battery came from and about what was going on with the main source.  Sent me an email out of the blue this summer and said he had a battery if I was still interested.  Oh YEAH!!

Guy in my local Buick Club is now waiting for his new battery for his ‘55 Century.  He bought the previous piece of crap two years ago and is now dead in the water.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, elpad said:

Well, it happened that I had the wrong spark plugs on the 322. New plugs coupled with carb adjustment and a quart of ATF did the job. running like a champ now. Next show is at Deering State in Palmetto Bay, Fl. Maybe a wedding in between!

What plugs were you running that caused a problem?  What did you replace them with? 

Chris, The shop manual calls for AC 44-5 type plugs for the 322 V8 however the part stor (Napa) could not cross over that number and somehow sold me a set of AC R43. The mechanic told me that those were to hot for the engine and installed a set of Champion J18YC. Apparently it did the job coupled with a carb adjustment, I’m riding the Magic Carpet again.

R43 would be colder.  Plug fouling/rich running/carbon deposit build from the cooler plug.  Finding the AC 44 is hard these days and costly when found(usually on Ebay).   Lucky I found a set for the 54.  I run R45 in the 60 Electra.    J18YC Champion crosses over to AC R45/46.   Hotter plug but will give you a more complete burn and less fouling.   I have about 4k miles on the R45 in the 60.  No issues.     I also ran a set of Autolite(forget the part number) without issue.  

Glad it is sorted and happy motoring! 

• 4 months later...

The biggest thing someone new has to get used to is the more touchy pedal for drum brakes.  A young first-timer nephew of mine nearly put me through the front glass before I realized I should have warned him.  And this was just going around in a parking lot.  I would think power brakes would be even more pronounced.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:24 AM, elpad said:

Even though it have power brakes the feel is different from a modern car so I have not let her drive it. One of these days, with time, I would let her practice along with my wife that refuses to drive it

The 54 with the manual my daughters will not drive.  Don't blame them.  Manual brakes, steering and transmission!  Both will drive the big old 60 boat.    Both just smile ear to ear when they drive it.   For me, their driving does not scare me.  It's the other drivers that scare me.  I drilled into them defensive driving.   Never ever ever tailgate!   

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...