1954 Buick Forum - the 54 Buick Highway

Anyone set up there 54 to tow a trailer? I recently aquired a 1964 traveleze 15 foot camp trailer thought it would be cool to use the buick as the tow vehicle. Was wondering what you guys use for a hitch? Helper springs? Brakes? Transmission cooler?

Will the dynaflow handle it?

Thanks

Neat idea, but don't do it. The frame behind the rear axle is extremely weak. And I saw a destroyed 55 that had the panhard bar break while towing a trailer. The car is capable of pulling a trailer, but stopping and emergency handling is lacking.

Yeah the breaking is what has me worried, have a hard enough time stopping the car by itself let alone a trailer especially out here in idaho with the steep grades. Thinking about doing a disc break swap.

• 2 years later...

Found this old thread 

if anybody needs or wants. Got a brand new set of a colorfully nylon weave kit for a vintage aluminum lawn chair as the ones depicted in the picture ... got to find it and take a picture.

Cant tell if the man is reading the paper or petting a cat..... watch the trailering mirrors on the 54

EED3F937-3CDF-4CA4-96D1-DA276D45DCFA.jpeg

Hey TC my dad used to pull a folding camper trailer with his `54 Buick Special back in the late 50`s and used a portable bumper hitch to tow it with.  It worked but I wouldn`t use that bumper hitch on my new shiny chrome bumper.  I still have the hitch and a picture somewhere of it pulling the trailer.  It`s a heavy duty sucker with rubber backing to protect the bumper from scratching but you can`t mount it centered between the two rear bumper guards so he`d mount it offset to the left side or the right side.  Let me know if your interested and I`ll send you a picture.  He also pulled that trailer with a `57 VW bug but what a hair:acute: raising experience that was...Grant 

there was a piece of 1/4 inch plate steel strapped across my frame that had a 1/2 inch chunk of plate steel bolted to it that protruded out the rear of my more door super when I tore it down. I can see a little twist in the frame where it used to be attached. its not going back on if I ever get this thing done...