23 posts in this topic

This is me firing it up and trying to set the timing. Sadly I didn't figure on my harbor freight timing lights wires to be too short. I ended up shutting down and trying again after this video was shot. It was so far advanced in this video that I couldn't even see the the marker on damper. Shes running much better now ;-)

https://youtu.be/4qZ8d0bJMT0

It took me about 2 hours of trial and error to get it to run again. After my first try, I found my timing was 180 degrees off - rookie mistake :sorry2:

Next I found my power wire to my coil was broken inside the plastic sheath (no power at the coil).

Finally it was a matter of playing with static timing to get it to fire.

Love the sound with the open exhaust. Cali wants some kind of noisy muffler in her future.:laugh1:

Yeehawwwww, lookin and soundin good Stick!!!! Really glad to see you getting back on Cali and getting her running again. Thanks for the report, look forward to hearing more. :yes::buba:

Thanks guys. It is a sigh of relief to hear her run and I appreciate the feedback here ;-)

Notes for future rebuilders:

Before I installed the distributor I did fill the engine with oil and then used a long bar I fabricated (shaped like a little hand crank) to turn the oil pump until I had a trickle of oil run out the pressure port. I did this to prime the pump and fill the oil filter. I then installed the test pressure gauge and continued to turn by hand until I had oil up in the rockers. Then I hooked an old screwdriver to my cordless drill and ran on high speed for another minute or so to hopefully fill lifters and all the nooks and crannies. I was able to build up between 25 and 35 PSI with the drill. I also discovered that one of the plugs in end of the rocker shaft must have installed a little off kilter because it was leaking. Not enough to worry about that day (Sunday the part stores are closed anyhow) but enough to know I should deal with this before driving too far. The bonus of the pre-lube was peace of mind during the actual startup, because when it did fire, I was too busy looking for flames fire or locusts to even remember to look at the oil pressure. (which I did about 30 seconds later, and was happy to see a solid 40 PSI on the gauge.) The final bonus was no clattering lifters on startup which is always a little unnerving.

Funny luck day - First I got the engine over to my friends where Cali is staying (yay) and on the way home blew a power steering line in the porta-shed (that's what I call the minivan). Sure enough the line is rusted through and dang near in accessible. Looks like I might have to pull the whole rack and pinion out. (boo).

But with luck, Tomorrow Cali and her nailhead will be re-united.

post-1925-14592821674662_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1459282167484_thumb.jpg

Funny luck day - First I got the engine over to my friends where Cali is staying (yay) and on the way home blew a power steering line in the porta-shed (that's what I call the minivan). Sure enough the line is rusted through and dang near in accessible. Looks like I might have to pull the whole rack and pinion out. (boo).

But with luck, Tomorrow Cali and her nailhead will be re-united.

I could have loan you my pick up!

More good news:

https://youtu.be/wJzltb2EF6c

You know, the night before this video I got it installed and running, and it was running rough, i could hear an exhaust leak and I wasn't happy. In the daylight found a vaccuum leak, (notice I have one port on the intake taped off)and tightened the header bolts . A quick tuneup on dwell and timing, and we ROLL! She sounds nice. I am a happy dude.

Its now gone in forward AND reverse for the first time since 2000.

I did find that even in Low, it labored to accelerate, but I think its operating 'normally'. I am pretty used to high horsepower.. But my 05 Grand prix will leave Cali in the dust... Oh well, I am not into racing Cali.

Next, BRAKES... but sadly, winter is approaching.. that will kill my progress for a few months.

She lives!

Slow off the line is inherent to the Dynaslow. Once you get going it will keep pulling like a freight train.

Before anyone asks why the nicely detailed engine and the crappy engine compartment, all in due time. I have a little rush on the get Cali re-assembled as we are likely moving next year (not too far) and the last thing I wanted was to be pulling boxes of parts and losing stuff. I figured smarter to re-assemble now, and detail more later (at the new house with the (fingers crossed) new SHOP!

I am also happy to report, that she in 99% back together, and not a single missing nut or bolt :-)

I did pull the rockers after it was running a while, and I was not thrilled with the amount of oil up the rockers... Left front was splashing nicely, but everything else was ... not dry, but not splashing like I hoped. Since I know all the passages were cleaned, and she is running 30 PSI at idle, I hope this is mostly normal.

The electric fuel pump is temporary. I rebuilt the factory pump, but I couldnt try it out yet, as I need a few inches of rubber line to re-attach, and guess what I did not have on a Sunday evening?

Heres a quick yard drive. Sorry for the horrible quality and dirty windsheield

https://youtu.be/JH6fs4-BERk

She is happy with her new yoke. NOT so happy with the fresh coolant (went to check yesterday, and lots of rusty green coolant all over the garage floor. Looks like my lower rad nipple is leaking at the threads... Sigh...

One piece at a time, just like Johnny Cash said in the song.

Keep up the good work, and congrats on the Dynaflow progress!

If you ever find one at a swap, buy one of those coolant system leak testers. It is a cap for the radiator that allows you to pressurize the system and look for leaks - instead of running the car, getting it hot and trying to fix it then...

2 years?  How can 2 years go by so quickly?

Okay, Cali got zero of my time last summer.  But this summer was a different story.   It got it's first bath in years, followed by all new brake shoes, hardware kit, cylinders and 1 rubber hose.  (I ordered all three rubber hoses, but they were all 2-3 inches longer than stock.  I will have to re-order.)   I then topped up all the fluids, and took it on a nice drive around my friends 4 acre yard.  With that done, returned to the shop, and checked all the fluids.  All was still good.  So I added more fuel to the temporary tank, and took another drive - this time 2 miles down a back road.  It was sweet to have it running under its own power. 

I have now dropped the tank, and will soon order a new pickup.  The tank is full of sludge, but I am well armed with instructions and will do what I can.  Being a California car, the top of the tank is dirty, but rust free.  The bottom outside has a little surface patina.  The inside is sludgy.  I will clean it up over the winter, and start to work on the interior.

Enjoy the pics.2017-10-14 17.37.13.jpg2017-10-14 11.28.14.jpg2017-10-14 12.37.38.jpg2017-10-14 12.38.00.jpg

MrEarl and Vindictive like this

I pulled off the poverty caps and trim rings when I did the brakes.   First off, LOVE that factory original Matador red rim.  I love it so much, I am seriously considering just cleaning the rims and running without caps and rings for a while.  It looks mean doesn't it?  I have some Coker wide whites to go on those rims before I take it on the highway.   Looks sharp ;-)

MrEarl likes this