OCSuper

New member 54 Super Convertible, Orange County, CA

33 posts in this topic

I prefer the look of bias ply but the radial ride is much better.   I run Cokers bias on my 60 Electra.   Rides nice but less forgiving on rough roads. They do track and catch the inconsistency in road surface.   I also run Universal bias on my 54 Special.   Rides well and smooth but again, the bias are a bit harsh on rough road and do track inconsistency in the road surface.  Now, my brother owns a 60 Imperial with radials.   The ride is better IMO but the look horrible.   There is a a radial that looks like a bias ply.   You may consider the tire.  

For me, at the end of the day, I like the bias look and ride.  The reason being, I fell in love with the look of the entire 50's era car package.  This included the bias ply.   Concerning the ride, I do not drive my Buicks every day.  They are weekend cruisers of 50-100 miles.  Ok sometimes I run'em 300 miles over the weekend and the ride on bias ply does not take away from the experience.  It is the experience!          

MrEarl likes this

Thanks for the feedback Chris, much appreciated.  I'll take a look at the bias look radials and maybe go that route.  There's a shop, Lucas Tires, in Long Beach, CA, about 20 miles from me.  Maybe I'll run over there next week and see what they have.

4 hours ago, OCSuper said:

Thanks for the feedback Chris, much appreciated.  I'll take a look at the bias look radials and maybe go that route.  There's a shop, Lucas Tires, in Long Beach, CA, about 20 miles from me.  Maybe I'll run over there next week and see what they have.

Please do! For me, the entire package of a 50's era car truly can be diminished with a tire that just does not seem to appear correct.  Now most would not notice but to lunatics like myself who worked for Goodyear,  appreciate the entire rim/tire and how it functions.  I never liked after market rims compared to factory rims.   I know, I'm an odd ball.   I once had seen a 60's era Lincoln with suicide doors at a show.  Although not my cup of tea the car was absolutely gorgeous to me.   The reason?  It had the correct bias ply tire.  It just appeared correct. 

I considered the  radial with the bias ply look.  I did not go with this tire because I could not justify the expense for the amount of driving I do.  These radials that look like bias do the trick for me.  Look nice.  Price turned me away.  For weekend cruising(and I like countryside roads) I'm good with bias. 

Take a look.  White in color like yours.   These are radials.   For me, I like the fluted look of the bias on the last picture.  Hope it helps in our decision.   

fl0114-173860_1.jpg 

76405.jpg

stealthbob and MrEarl like this

Agreed on the right look of radial tires.  Try lukas Tire in Long Beach, CA.  I got my Diamond Back 800s there and very happy with them.  You can come look at mine if you want to save yourself the drive to Long Beach...

Avgwarhawk likes this

I like the look of my Coker bias-plys. They handle well enough. Like other have said, they're a little grabby on rough or uneven road surfaces but overall I've been happy with them. I would have liked to tried the bias-look radials, but they are pricey. Maybe next time.

Avgwarhawk likes this

Thanks everyone for your valuable input, I really appreciate the feedback.  I'll be going to Lucas in the next week or so and see what they have. I've looked online, but want to see them in person.  More than likely I'll go with a bias WW.  Not sure I can justify an extra $400 for the radials being that I have more to do and spend on the car.  I'll repost when I get the decision made and will add some photos.  

Thanks again,

Kirk (OCSuper)

Avgwarhawk and MrEarl like this

19 hours ago, OCSuper said:

Thanks everyone for your valuable input, I really appreciate the feedback.  I'll be going to Lucas in the next week or so and see what they have. I've looked online, but want to see them in person.  More than likely I'll go with a bias WW.  Not sure I can justify an extra $400 for the radials being that I have more to do and spend on the car.  I'll repost when I get the decision made and will add some photos.  

Thanks again,

Kirk (OCSuper)

That is where I was at.   The cost and actual miles the vehicle would be driven yearly just did not add up to a smart purchase.   The additional $400.00 disposable went to other items that needed attention.   Looking forward to seeing what you decide.