wndsofchng06

54 century 4dr sedan

113 posts in this topic

I really thought I'd started this thread,  but I guess I'm going crazy..  anyhow, got my dmv inspection today so I can get the car titled!  Yay i will try to be better at updates on here...

20170409_185659_1491780397569.jpg

Thus far,  I removed old non- stock seat covers to reveal decent original interior,  reworked all the heater controls, swapped the steering wheel,  refreshed the clock, stripped the peeling roof and as of yesterday all my brake parts have arrived.  Fuel pump kit is here too. 

20170423_165746.jpg

MrEarl likes this

Went to rebuild my fuel pump today,  upon reading the instructions provided in the kit from classic preservation coalition, I realized I don't have all the tools needed for the job.  I'll be sending it to classic preservation to get rebuilt! 

1495988563617-133407635.jpg

20170528_120042.jpg

MrEarl likes this

Waiting on brakes and a fuel pump,  decided to work on replacing the broken grille half... wow hard job. 

20170529_141309.jpg

20170529_142843.jpg

20170529_142847.jpg

20170529_144239.jpg

20170529_145922.jpg

Lot of work replacing a grill, what a full day , maybe two. There is an illustration of the sequence of bolting the mustache bar on here somewhere. 

wndsofchng06 likes this

On May 28, 2017 at 8:06 PM, elpad said:

Remember those days.....great satisfaction feeling afterwards.

It's what makes it all worth it. Take small bites, chew well, lots easier to swallow. 

wndsofchng06 likes this

Bumper is back.  Hard for me to remember tolerances were not as tight back then.  3/16" is driving me bonkers. 

20170531_185251.jpg

MrEarl likes this

Looks great Matt! Were you able to get that little twist out of the bumper or was it more in the mounting bracket?

11 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Looks great Matt! Were you able to get that little twist out of the bumper or was it more in the mounting bracket?

Im not sure.   Its still not perfect but until I have it on all fours on level ground

Avgwarhawk likes this

2 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Im not sure.   Its still not perfect but until I have it on all fours on level ground

The body of the car does all sorts of weird things when suspended on anything other than the designed suspension. 

wndsofchng06 likes this

Wheel cylinders arrived today!  Was only able to get one on after work... Still gotta find somewhere local to turn drums. 

20170601_182937.jpg

I would think a local small gas station that has a bay or two for performing repairs would turn your drums.    

Cool!

So where did you get the drums turned? And where did you get the shoes? And the wheel cylinders? 

Shoes, wheel cylinders, and rubber hoses from rock auto.   The drums I pulled off the 56 century. I cleaned them up a bit and used my drum caliper to decide they didn't need turning (no grooves, no ridge,  and didn't seem out of round).  In fact,  with the adjusters all the way in,  they fit just right.