wndsofchng06

54 century 4dr sedan

113 posts in this topic

I got mine at o'rileys. Dorman part# 555-084 for the steel ones. There are brass ones available too that won't rot over time like the steel ones. 

22 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Been driving her as much as I can....  Love this car.  

I can assure you this is exactly what the previous owner would want to hear.   2 doors, 4 doors....no matter....a blast from the past. 

MrEarl, wndsofchng06 and stealthbob like this

On 10/18/2017 at 6:33 AM, stealthbob said:

Chris...you and I think alike...just as I was scrolling through the pics I thought to myself, this needs a sepia filter :)

Nice pics @wndsofchng06 you must be having a blast!

Some pictures just take to a color change to set the mood or era.   This was one of them.   Older home and American flag.  Bingo.    

Will be driving her to work tomorrow,  as my truck will be on loan in Virginia.  35 miles each way.... wish me luck.  Attached are photos from last weekend. 

1105170808b.jpg

20171105_135611.jpg

B&wbuick.jpg

Avgwarhawk likes this

No need for luck.  These Buicks are very dependable.   I have driven my c-dan  hundreds of miles in one clip.   She just keeps on going.   I would drive the Buick anywhere.   Enjoy the ride!        

wndsofchng06 likes this

Well the trip here went well, with the exception of the lack of a defroster fan!  She did not like the 40 degree morning either!  Started right up, but stalled 2x while idling at warm up.  The drive to work was smooth, took all back roads.  We are going down to 25 tonight, gotta pick up antifreeze.  This weekend I think I'll finally fix the leaking freeze plug and possibly check the points and plugs again.

Cold start and driveability has come a long way since the 50's.   The carb atomizes fuel/oxygen and works well when warm.  However,  once atomized fuel/oxygen hits cold air it becomes a liquid again.   Liquid fuel does not burn.  The vapor/atomized fuel/oxygen does burn.   The engineers worked on what is called EFE or early fuel evaporation.   To obtain good cold start and driveability the engineers needed to find ways to introduce warmth to the carb to keep atomized fuel/O2 from returning back to liquid form thus not burning and providing misfire, stumble, stutter, stalling and overall poor performance when cold.    Our nailheads have absolutely none to speak of.  Sure, there is a choke that holds the idle high and kicks off as the heat from the tube attached to the exhaust manifold warms the coil inside the choke assembly.   But that is it.   Over the years the engineers developed hot air tubes from the exhaust manifolds that fed directly into the air filter housing.   Ports in the intake manifold that allowed hot gases to warm the base of the carb.  My 401 has this port in the intake manifold.   Intake manifolds that have passages that allow hot antifreeze to warm the base of the carb.   Electric grids that warm the fuel as it passes through the intake(throttle body injected engines).   And finally, direct injection that the computer does a great job of controlling.   Much of early EFE is not required any longer.    

Nailheads are not fond of the cold.   I let mine warm for a minute or so then go since driving does make the engine warm faster.   She will still sputter and such until warm.   Plus, she is some old bones.  Can't blame her. 

MrEarl and wndsofchng06 like this

Finally got that freeze plug changed.... damn they didn't plan on anyone ever taking off the starter did they?  My fingers hurt!   Also got the vacuum wipers redone....

MrEarl likes this