wndsofchng06

54 century 4dr sedan

139 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, 1953mack said:

Thanks for taking the time to take and post your latest pics. Some of your previous exterior pics got me thinking it was a lower-mileage survivor.  These are the Buicks that I prefer . . . . . the ones that are not overly restored and get a lot of people scratching their head trying to figure out whether it's the real McCoy or not. They draw the crowd too.

The under the dash pictures with the yellow insulation I agree with. Your picture of the under the hood insulation pad color, I question. Does this pad look original 1954 issue with the correct cut-outs and other dimensions to you or do you think that its been replaced well before it was parked in the 1990s? I question that because of the info on Classic Buicks website information and posts on the BCA Forum Thread addressing 1954 and 1955 colors. The trunk inserts look original but look like they got part of the re-spray juice.  

The car is mostly untouched other than the respray . Original seats in good shape, original headliner in tact,  etc.  But the 56 hood I showed you came off a 56k mile car and my last two 55s both had grey under the hood. Not sure any of this helps but just putting it out there. 

All of my 55's had gray rockwool(?) insulation under the hood, including one purchased in 1976 with 7,000 original miles (had original sparkplugs, wires, tires, etc) and it is not likely that was changed.

The trunk lid paint is typical:  the panels were not masked and paint was quickly applied to the metal with overspray on the panels.  Some appear later to have been masked, but that  because the original lacquer paint did not stick to the tar paper inserts.  I saw one that had paint on all of the panels (someone was probably fired for wasting paint).

About 20 years ago an original 53 Skylark showed up at a BCA national meet sporting gray underhood insulation.  It was funny watching all of the 'experts' pontificating and getting all quiver-lipped over that one.

Fuscik Olds who also sells Buick parts claims that mid 50's Oldsmobile had yellow underhood insulation, but also admits that boiler insulation is now supplied in yellow, so that is what their supplier cuts from.

jbuickman likes this

I recall the insulation on my 54 as being blackish gray.  I replaced as it was coming apart.   The insulation under the headliner was not only yellow...it was in great shape.  I left it there to do it's job.   I suspect the yellow insulation under the headliner is not heat fire/resistant as found in the hood insulation.   As Willies stated, under my trunk lid  the insulation has paint over spray.   Painting back then had a bit to be desired compared to the robots that handle it now. 

I have a portion on the 60 were the brown primer sprayed over the ID plate was covered with a piece of masking tape before the green was sprayed.  Then the tape was pulled leaving the brown primer.   It was good enough for government work I guess.   

Was having problems with my starter, so new bushings, new brushes, and clean and resurface all contacts in the solenoid. 

20180311_123305.jpg

20180311_160517.jpg

20180311_161023.jpg

There is little more satisfying than taking a faulty old cruddy looking item and restoring it to full function and making it look fresh and new.

Nice

wndsofchng06 likes this

I always chuckle a little when others in modern vehicles do a double take as you cruise by on the highway at 70 mph.   Or those that attempt to get around me on the on ramp thinking that old green 60 will be putt putt down the road, better jump  the  on ramp lane and get on the highway ahead of that old green 60.  Let me tell you, that old green 60 with the 401, mash the pedal at 45-55 mph and the secondary open up....bye bye baby.    I just chuckle......

Glad you enjoy your Buick!!!