maybelle

Resurrection!

15 posts in this topic

Sorry that I have been away from my 54 family for so long.  Too much time now required on computers for the job leaves little desire to deal with one in my off time.

I just want to say a big THANK YOU to all of my 54 family (MrEarl, Stealthbob, elpad, Father Buick, and countless others!) for all of the help, advice, and parts in getting Madam Maybelle finally restored.  Sometimes it takes a village.  In this case, it took a Forum to get the job done.  A Forum and Mark with Graveyard Run Restorations to be exact.

Madam will be making her first appearance July 15th at the Keeneland Concours d'Elegance in Lexington, KY followed by a trip up to Plymouth, MI for the Concours d'Elegance of America.  I never set out to build a show car, I just wanted a nice driver.  Looks like I ended up with a Driving Diva!

Again, thank you to all!  I will try to check in a little more often now on the Forum.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

She is absolutely gorgeous! and certainly rates those Concourse shows! Will you be taking her to this years Buick Nationals? 

I can't wait to see her in person. Congratulations! It has been quite a journey! 

maybelle and wndsofchng06 like this

Thanks for the kind words.  I will not be going to the Nationals this year.  Nasty thing called "work" keeps getting in the way.  One day in the not too distant future that will change!

MrEarl and wndsofchng06 like this

As I mentioned in another thread Maybelle...truly Beautiful!

It was the videos of the restoration of Madam Maybelle that started to tug at me to fix what was broken in my situation. Working to live is something that can be manged, living to work is something not to be tolerated. I swear I could write a book, but damm that would be more unnecessary work :)

19 hours ago, buick41 said:

What a Beauty ..........       !! 

Thank you.  I had a great team working to make this happen. 

Madam Maybelle attended her first Cruise-In tonight.  Such a thrill to have both Madam and the Beast (my Ford truck) parked side by side! All I could do was just sit and stare, still not believing how beautiful Madam turned out.  

image.jpeg

Don`t know how I missed your resurrection post back in June but Madam Maybelle is truly a beauty! Glad you posted pic`s earlier as well as the Cruise-In photo as both our Roadmasters are a mirror image of each other right down to the A/C, Colors and black rims.  Brought a big smile to my face, and now that your showing the car I`m wondering if your getting a lot of positive comments about the color.  It`s usually the first thing I hear from the car show crowds right after the often heard my father/grandfather had one just like it!  Hope you keep showing it as it`s truly a show winner!   

maybelle likes this

Thank you, Beautiful 72R.  A photo of your car was posted in my shop as an encouragement for what we hoped Madam could be one day.  I think it was that fall picture that ended up in the Bugle.  Yes, I get a lot of positive comments on the color.  And a lot of "what the heck are those?" pointing to the A/C tubes.

I just wonder how many of the 54 72R A/C cars were the two tone green ours are?  MrEarl's High Society was also a two tone green.  HS is resting quietly in the pasture in Middle TN after giving her all to bring both Madam Maybelle and Almendron back to life.  She's become a shop mascot.

MrEarl, Beautiful 72R and elpad like this

Ha! Yup, those A/C tubes really get peoples attention.  I`m sure glad that Mr. Earls HS was available to complete both Madam Maybelle and Almendron`s restorations as both are real show winners!  I`m flattered that you used my cars photo as a visual reference, and yes, it was she "Stella" in Mr. Earls column in the Bugle.  Don`t know how many A/C equipped Buicks like ours were manufactured but they were rare to start with.  I have heard the additional cost of the $660.00 A/C option when new discouraged many buyers, but not my Grandfather as his last Buick (now mine) had every option available.  Keep showing that Beautiful "Roady"...Grant

elpad, maybelle and wndsofchng06 like this

What is surprising to me is finding that people would order the factory A/C and only the Standard interior for the 72R.  Madam had the Standard interior with no engine turned dash, no power seat, and just the basic cloth upholstery.  HS had the Custom interior with the fancy dash and power seat.  We upgraded Madam to the Custom interior and put that power seat to work!  I recently had the chance to look at another factory A/C 72R and it also has just the Standard interior.  Guess some folks decided to choose A/C comfort and forgo the beautiful interior to save cost.

We live to learn!

elpad and Beautiful 72R like this