1954 Buick Forum - the 54 Buick Highway

Sorry that I have been away from my 54 family for so long.  Too much time now required on computers for the job leaves little desire to deal with one in my off time.

I just want to say a big THANK YOU to all of my 54 family (MrEarl, Stealthbob, elpad, Father Buick, and countless others!) for all of the help, advice, and parts in getting Madam Maybelle finally restored.  Sometimes it takes a village.  In this case, it took a Forum to get the job done.  A Forum and Mark with Graveyard Run Restorations to be exact.

Madam will be making her first appearance July 15th at the Keeneland Concours d'Elegance in Lexington, KY followed by a trip up to Plymouth, MI for the Concours d'Elegance of America.  I never set out to build a show car, I just wanted a nice driver.  Looks like I ended up with a Driving Diva!

Again, thank you to all!  I will try to check in a little more often now on the Forum.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

As I mentioned in another thread Maybelle...truly Beautiful!

It was the videos of the restoration of Madam Maybelle that started to tug at me to fix what was broken in my situation. Working to live is something that can be manged, living to work is something not to be tolerated. I swear I could write a book, but damm that would be more unnecessary work :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don`t know how I missed your resurrection post back in June but Madam Maybelle is truly a beauty! Glad you posted pic`s earlier as well as the Cruise-In photo as both our Roadmasters are a mirror image of each other right down to the A/C, Colors and black rims.  Brought a big smile to my face, and now that your showing the car I`m wondering if your getting a lot of positive comments about the color.  It`s usually the first thing I hear from the car show crowds right after the often heard my father/grandfather had one just like it!  Hope you keep showing it as it`s truly a show winner!   

Thank you, Beautiful 72R.  A photo of your car was posted in my shop as an encouragement for what we hoped Madam could be one day.  I think it was that fall picture that ended up in the Bugle.  Yes, I get a lot of positive comments on the color.  And a lot of "what the heck are those?" pointing to the A/C tubes.

I just wonder how many of the 54 72R A/C cars were the two tone green ours are?  MrEarl's High Society was also a two tone green.  HS is resting quietly in the pasture in Middle TN after giving her all to bring both Madam Maybelle and Almendron back to life.  She's become a shop mascot.

Ha! Yup, those A/C tubes really get peoples attention.  I`m sure glad that Mr. Earls HS was available to complete both Madam Maybelle and Almendron`s restorations as both are real show winners!  I`m flattered that you used my cars photo as a visual reference, and yes, it was she "Stella" in Mr. Earls column in the Bugle.  Don`t know how many A/C equipped Buicks like ours were manufactured but they were rare to start with.  I have heard the additional cost of the $660.00 A/C option when new discouraged many buyers, but not my Grandfather as his last Buick (now mine) had every option available.  Keep showing that Beautiful "Roady"...Grant

What is surprising to me is finding that people would order the factory A/C and only the Standard interior for the 72R.  Madam had the Standard interior with no engine turned dash, no power seat, and just the basic cloth upholstery.  HS had the Custom interior with the fancy dash and power seat.  We upgraded Madam to the Custom interior and put that power seat to work!  I recently had the chance to look at another factory A/C 72R and it also has just the Standard interior.  Guess some folks decided to choose A/C comfort and forgo the beautiful interior to save cost.

We live to learn!

• 11 months later...

Well, been a while since I have been able to get on the Forum.  My old 4S iPhone just couldn’t keep up anymore so I finally upgraded this week to a new phone as my ....... retirement present to myself!  Gonna take me a while to catch up on reading the posts on the Forum!

Madam Maybelle is continuing her adventures as a trailer queen to various shows.  She is now an AACA Senior car after two cold and rainy shows this year.  Buicks do not melt in the rain, thank goodness.  She also took a First Palmetto Award at the Hilton Head Concours last November and first in her class at Keeneland in July 2017.  The bling is nice, but what was most important was the fun we all had at the events and the people we met.

This weekend we head down to Braselton, GA for the Atlanta Concours d’Elegance.  Just praying for a safe trip and dry weather!

D76C0E1A-DB3F-42BE-9292-634A6D04C74B.jpeg

DE773B10-DD7A-43CC-9C85-EFD108D7D910.jpeg

7C6010CD-5950-42DC-8E86-8DBB12D8AF24.jpeg

Another great time was had this weekend in Atlanta.  Lots of friendly people, lots of beautiful cars of all makes, and no rain!!!!  Visited with Corky Coker and reminisced about “Uncle Bob” and the 54 Landau.  (Somewhere I do have a picture of “Uncle Bob” with the car.  2012 BCA National?) Buicks ruled in my class, American Post-War Production, with Madam Maybelle taking Best in Class and a lovely 1950 Buick taking second.  Every car at this show was top quality!

Now for a little brake adjustment and a realignment and I am ready to hit the backroads for some fall touring!!

F4EDC1A2-AF66-4AB5-A106-B7DBD8F3D152.jpeg

5B087122-4BDB-4A56-88CA-22A03AD95D20.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello.  I was looking for youtube videos for 55 Buick restorations and found multiple videos with your 54 Buick being restored.  Your Buick is absolutely gorgeous.  I will be using those videos as a guide to restoring mine.  I hope one day I get the chance to meet you and see your Buick in person.  Congrats!

19 hours ago, maybelle said:

Thank you!  Maybe we will meet at the BCA National in Charlotte NC in a couple of years?

I would like that very much!  I have never had the chance to go to a BCA National.  I will have to try to make this one.  I live in Virginia and its as close as it will get.  I do have a question...how well does your factory AC cool the car?  I'm curious because my car will have the factory AC too.  

The 55 will work better than our 54's because of how the condenser is designed.  The 55 benefits from the radiator fan and catches more air through the grill.

The '54s are plenty big, but located on just the lower half of the radiator, so only good direct air from the car moving forward will get you much AC.  But at highway speeds, it does just fine.