Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charleshane

manual gearbox and torque ball repair

3 posts in this topic

So after stripping down the torque ball to repair a leak and finding a load of worn parts u/joint yoke and torque ball bush, I managed to find some new old stock parts, the u joint I found turned out to be the smaller special one, mr earl pointed out they are easier to come by but i had already purchased it so just had to wait and see, although it would fit it is smaller,the casting and the joint itself.it would probably work if you took it easy.my plan b if any of the parts didnt fit would be to regrind the u/joint yoke then make an undersize torque ball bush to suit, which is what I ended up doing, I machined the u joint yoke after machining a mandrel to mount it on, the inside of the universal has to be ground out , I used a die grinder the smaller inside diameter of the u joint wont allow the whole u/j to go on otherwise, I thought the yoke would be case hardened,it isnt, I turned down the shaft took off about 40 thou, (1mm) I then re cut the oil slinger grooves with a dremel. The torque ball bush was made from leaded bronze and I cut the oil grooves on a cnc lathe with a screw cutting program with a 1 " pitch.I put the car back tobgether today and after the test drive not a drop of oil.feeling very pleased about it at the minute, I will update any problems when I get them.sorry about the long blog. I was going to post photos but they wont load up for some reason.    

MrEarl likes this

I don't know about the standard tranny cars, but the dynaflow cars have a special drilled bolt holding the universal joint that supplies lubricant to the the universal and bushing.

charleshane likes this

It was just a plain bolt and washer, I was just looking at the torque ball that I received from wndsofchange today that I was going to use if things didnt work out, looking at the dynaflow one the cup on the torque ball looks offset,it cant be but IThink the bottom part of the cup has more material than the top the manual one is the same top and bottom Im not sure if they changed the design later or if its a difference manual/ dynaflow.