Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulbone

Skylark for sale on Ebay

4 posts in this topic

Check out this listing on ebay for a '54 Skylark - auction item number: 391934980120

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Buick-Skylark-Harley-Earls-Custom-Convertible-Concours/391934980120?hash=item5b41253018:g:w0gAAOSwwGRZz4hv&vxp=mtr

I've been watching this one for a few months now and have noticed that hardly anyone bids on it. It reached the mid/low 60K a couple of times but mostly ends unsold with bids about 25K.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why bids are so low? It looks like a nice car, though the 'buy-it-now' price of $176, 000 is high I would have thought there would have been bids higher than 66K

One thing I did check though, was the vendors Yelp rating. That made interesting reading, check it out if you have time.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, paulbone said:

.....I've been watching this one for a few months now.....Anyone have any thoughts as to why bids are so low?...... 

Try years, not months.

Just a few possible reasons:

The prices for rebuilt 1953-1954 Skylarks peaked out years ago. One is lucky to realize a return of 75¢ on a dollar spent nowadays.

Current owner trying to recoup close to what they paid for it that might have been an over-priced Skylark. Prior ‘high-test’ owners do not necessarily mean it’s worth more dollars.   

Too many Skylark barn-finds have been ‘restored’ recently resulting in an over-supply.

People finally woke up and realized that they are not as rare as everyone thought they were.

High-rollers are more willing to spend their $$ on a 1960s or straight-off-the-showroom-floor muscle car today rather than an older collectible car. You can buy matching his and hers new Corvettes for about the same $$.

According to my records, the restoration was completed around 2010. There could be issues.

Too nice to get it dirty and put more miles on it.

It's not painted RED.

There are a few noticeable details and authenticity issues that haven't been addressed but nothing major that can be picked up from the pictures. Missing pictures of the underside might reveal additional items. For ±$175,000 you would think that you would get the $150 hubcap (not shown) for the spare tire wire wheel. :biggrin:

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

“500 Miles West of Flint”

https://classiccars.com/listings/find/1954/buick/skylark

With a high 'buy it now' price one would assume that the reserve is similar, so why bother bidding.

Interesting thoughts there.  The vendor has a lot of inventory sitting around then, which can't be good for business.

Still, the car must surely be worth more than the $66,000 max bid, even with the points highlighted by 1953mack. Maybe ebay is the wrong place to sell and doesn't attract serious buyers.