Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stealthbob

Getting ready for the summer season

12 posts in this topic

Nothing big to report but I have been back in the garage these days getting some housekeeping items done on Harriet.

I never did really do all the proper mechanical work required to make this Buick a reliable daily driver so that is my focus now.

So full brake job, master to wheel cylinders and shoes ect ect. Along with a proper fuel system cleanup.

Its amazing how easy it is to let the domestic schedule take over your garage wants....

Main thing to note is my new attention to my proclivity of the "Might as wells", I have exercised great diligence in keeping focus on the functional and not the pretty. I kid you not I was close to pulling the back plates, sandblasting them and power coating them. 

41104320871_83fc843d98_z.jpg

wndsofchng06 likes this

Yes sir, the domestic schedule does put a damper on hobby/leisure activity.   I look forward to a time I can simply putter round the garage, wax, wash, fix, improve and enjoy the cars.  For now I squeeze in what I can get.   

stealthbob likes this

Yea, by avoiding the "Might as wells" I still managed to replace the entire brake system. I can easily defend that by knowing that my brakes are factory good. Still not good enough for the drum brake haters.....we all have our thing and that is ok by me.

The take away on those brake bleeder kits...yea real handy to refill  the system on my own but nothing beats the proper two person method of yelling at one another "I told you hold!!!" "you said ok?????" 

wndsofchng06 and MrEarl like this

On 3/30/2018 at 4:54 PM, stealthbob said:

@MrEarl your tank cleaning vid has dissappeared, any chance you still have that?

It's just hiding probably. I'll see if I can find it

While I would still like to see it and archive it, you should know I went new anyway. $250 was about the right amount for me to not borrow any trouble. New one fit perfect with the only exception to being a rubber coupler for the filler neck connection which is to be expected.

MrEarl likes this

Thanks man, that is an awesome write up. Thanks for reposting it, I guess my search skills are diminishing as I looked for that but for some reason I thought it was in video format?

After reading through all the other posts and watching videos around the interweebs I was not confidant that I would get a long term trouble free result which is why I went new. The new tank has a ceramic finish inside so it should be trouble free for many years, even though this car sits for long periods of time (hopefully less moving forward)

All that notwithstanding, after reading your procedure I think I will try it anyway, cause why not

3 hours ago, stealthbob said:

All that notwithstanding, after reading your procedure I think I will try it anyway, cause why not

Don't do it.  After getting well into the sloshing part my back decided to take me down and out for a week.  I paid a local radiator shop to finish the job.  The lost pay for missing work would have bought 3 tanks!

Later I bought a new tank for another car and had the radiator shop swap the original one piece filler tube.

wndsofchng06 and stealthbob like this

Wow, that's a tough result right there...thanks for the heads up on that.

My motivation was that it was kinda disappointing when I saw how much this thing looked out of place with the rest of the car...so bright and shiny looking. Also that and like you said the two piece thing. 

I did mine about a year and a half or so ago using the same process Mr. Earl detailed. I think I ended up using the KBS brand three stage kit. It turned out nice and put an end to fuel filters caked up with orange flecks of rust. There was so much nastiness that came out during the clean/prep, it looked almost like brand new bare metal inside before I put the liner in. It will do a number on your back though, I was sore for several days. I'd recommend at least getting a helper to assist with all the sloshing and rinsing.