Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stealthbob

Fuel filter

12 posts in this topic

I have one of those disc type filters that mount right on the back of the carburetor, any advice on that?

It was pretty contaminated from the poor fuel quality I pushed through, to the point I had to clean it frequently. I would like to keep it in place but I cant find a like replacement.

I don't really want one of those modern deals visible and may resort to one in a hidden location, any suggestions of what to replace that with?

I got beat up suggesting the  filter in the link below.   But I'll offer it again. I use it on my Buick. It was there when I purchased the car.  It screws in the carb like the pancake filter.   Works just fine.    Now, the link to a filter similar to mine.  If you need me to see if I can find the part number on the filter I have and a picture of it installed let me know. 

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Autolite-Motorcraft-Fuel-Filter-12_p_4459.html

Can keep the pancake filter for the look but hide a pre-filter somewhere.  Just a thought. 

Keep the pancake filter for the sake of being correct, but install a glass bowl filter inline under the driver door.  Add a cut off valve for when you need to change the filter, and as an additional anti-theft device.  It will start and run for a few hundred feet, then stall out as dead as can be.

My original pancake filter would plug up after only two or three tanks of gas.  This solved the problem.

There also may be some gunk in the carb, plugging the screen just inside the inlet hole.

wndsofchng06 likes this

Thanks guys....I will look into those, I like the under door trick.

I tried cleaning my tank and after some effort decided that $250 for new was the way to go. I figure that I will also need to "update" the filter situation.

Avgwarhawk likes this

So just to close the circle on this I decided to go one step further and install an inline fuel pump with a filter attached. Its neatly installed under the driver side door along the frame rail...had a nice existing hole to use so no drilling. As per father Buick I will keep the pancake in place after one last good cleaning.

This was my first "mod" to this car so it was a reluctant decision but I was tired of the requirement to prime the carb after extended sitting. I rebuilt the carb and the fuel pump and the problem continued. As far as the control, it does have automatic shut off at 5 psi but I hid a switch under the dash so it will be used just for pre-start or when required.  

New tank arrives today so should have the fuel system all cleaned up by the weekend. :biggrin:

Thanks for the ideas.....

Avgwarhawk likes this

Yea, a pic should have been there...what was I thinking.

I still have to install the shut off valve which I am picking up today. 

Fuel Pump.jpg

Father Buick likes this

I haven't landed that yet, wanted to look at the wire diagram to see if I can pull from the main wire block rather than run ugly wires to the battery.

It has a low draw so I am pretty sure there is a point I can tie into. I would prefer a non switched source as I have a dedicated one for it, also have an inline fuse to protect it.

Just need to do the research....good thing the Shop Manual is very detailed in that regard.

I have a similar set-up with a little Facet electric pump. It's what was on the car when I got it and was being used as the sole fuel pump at the time. I rebuilt the mechanical fuel pump but left the electric pump in place though it's no longer used. It is wired to a toggle switch under the dash so I can use it to prime if needed, or as a back-up if there's a problem with the mechanical pump. I've only ever used it once, after I had the carb off so I wouldn't have to wait for the bowl to fill while the engine cranked. The mechanical pump draws gas from the tank through the electric pump quite well. The amp draw is low, so you should be able to tie in to an existing circuit without issue. 

stealthbob likes this

The power source should come from the ignition switch so that when the key is in the off position so is the fuel pump and on when in the on position.

MrEarl likes this