1954 Buick Forum - the 54 Buick Highway

Windshield and rear window clips

Hi,

As some of you have seen my `54 Special Riviera has been in Poland for restoration. Finally, when back in Norway I got into a shower and found out that both the windshield and rear window was leaking! I had bought new seals from Steele Rubber Products and sent them to Poland. The workshop there had used the seals, but without any clips! Just a lot of glue under the trim, but not enough. So, now I have to get this installation to be done here in Norway, by an expert who has restored a lot of classic cars. When he looked the glasses over he only shook his head; the installation in Poland was rubbish!

I have to buy clips for both glasses and have looked many places for it. But very few seems to fit the `54. But isn´t it so that both the ´54, `55 and `56 Buick, Oldmobile and Chevrolet shares the same type of windows? If so it should be possible to make a wider search for the clips.

Does anyone out there have experiences with this issue? I attach a document which shows some of the type of clips I have found for several GM`s on ebay.

Thanks in advance!

1954 BUICK WINDSHIELD AND REAR WINDOW CLIPS.pdf

IMG_1050.JPG

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have pictures or something else which showes how the clips/fasteners for the windshield and the rear window in a 1954 Buick Special 2-door hardtop Riviera looks like? While on restoration the Polish guys have thrown the old clips/fasteners away, and that´s why I don´t know how they looks like.

Fusick has sent me pictures of some Oldsmobile clips that cross over into Buick 40 & 60 series for the rear window (see attached file), but they haven´t any clips for the windshield.

Any help will be appreciated!

Oldsmobile clips.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t succeeded in getting any pictures or drawings of the clips for installing the windshield and the rear window in my car. I have been in contact with several vendors about this but they don’t have these clips. Does anybody know about salvage graveyards which has ‘54 Buicks in their stock? If I can get some old clips from them I maybe can use them as templates for making new ones.

Any help will be appreciated!

I have a model 61 but had challenges finding the correct clips as well. I think it was the ones from Fusick that I finally usd but they were challenging to say the least. Have you tried sending your used ones to Restoration Specialities? Cars in NJ had these;

Windshield/Backglass Clip 11/16" Reveal MC44 Windshield/Backglass Clip 11/16" Reveal $0.75
Windshield/Backglass Clip 11/16" Reveal MC43 Windshield/Backglass Clip 11/16" Reveal $0.75
Windshield/Backglass Clip 3/4" Reveal MC41 Windshield/Backglass Clip 3/4" Reveal $0.75
Windshield/Backglass Clip 3/4" Reveal MC42 Windshield/Backglass Clip 3/4" Reveal $0.75
Windshield/Backglass Clip 3/4" Reveal MC37-1 Windshield/Backglass Clip 3/4" Reveal $1.75

Thanks Carl,

Fusick has some clips for the rear window and Restoration Specialities are looking for the ones for the windshield now. The old ones were thrown away in Poland, when I had the car for restoration there. The Polish guy said he had used clips when installing the windows, but when back in Norway I discovered  (during a rain shower) that both windows were leaking. Hopefully Restoration Specialities will find the right ones!