1954 Buick Forum - the 54 Buick Highway

The glass on all my gauges need cleaning and there is dust in all of them. I took the glass out of one of them and blew out the dust and the glass cleaned up nicely. I noticed the seal is really dry and probably not sealing properly since there was so much dust in the guage. is there some kind of replacement any one has used?

2 hours ago, dagibsonsg said:

is there some kind of replacement any one has used?

The original stuff seemed to be some sort of black sponge rubber that is now dry and crumbling or melted and smearing the glass edges.  Since I have found nothing that satisfied me, your assignment is to come up with something that looks good and functions.:biggrin:

• 1 month later...

just an update on the guages. I bought a 1/8 seal from www.mcmaster.com for less then a buck a foot and it works really well. The rubber is a little stiffer than the original but as long as you have the surface area well cleaned from the previous old seal it'll lay down nice and flat. I had to sandblast the body of the guages after removed the insides and cleaned them up real nice behind the glass.

Link is https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/3646 and I bought the 1/8 inch size. stiffer than the original but seems to work well. I bought 6 feet of it for $5 and just cut it to size. The guages cleaned up real nice. I took them apart, blasted them, sanded with 1500 grit then clear coated them. replaced the glass as the old glass wouldn't clean up well. I redid the two pictured on the inside, gas and amperes gauges, and they were just as bad as the two outside gauges.

guages.jpeg