1954 Buick Forum - the 54 Buick Highway

The 1954Buick.com Welcome Mat...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello fellow Buick followers. Please forgive me if I am not responding to the correct post, I am just starting out with this group and I am trying to learn how to navigate the site. My name is Hamlet and I purchased a 54 Buick Special 2 door 46-R this past summer right before we came out to Kuwait for the year, plan to return to the States come middle on June. I can see why people love this Year of Buick. I instantly wanted it when I first laid eyes on it. I will attach pictures once I learn how to do so. My Buick will need work but at least I got to drive it from where I bought it before I had to leave the States; it sure was a rough ride at about 35 mph when she started shaking down the road being as old as she is. The car came with the original invoice, dealer contract and title from the original owner which I am excited to have. I am looking at ordering new wheels and tires and wanted to know if any of you would be able to offer me some advice on some companies. I would like to get the chrome reverse smoothie wheels with Shannon cone hub caps I saw on Wheelspoke with wide whitewall tires from Coker. I tried to contact Coker via email as I am in the Middle East at this time and not able to call them and wanted to know if any of you have purchased deep dish chrome wheels from Coker? Would any of you know if Coker sells the same deep dish chrome wheels as Truespoke? Also if any of you have the deep dish chrome wheels, did you have any issues with fender clearance using stock suspension? I would appreciate any input you could provide and I am sure that I will have some more questions as I slowly get the Buick road worthy again. Thanks again. Gratefully, Hamlet

Welcome, Hamlet! Looking forward to pictures of your car. I can't answer your questions about wheels but I'm sure there are plenty of 54 Forum folks who can help. I know just enough to be dangerous! ;-) Cruise around the website and see what we are all about. And tell us more about your 54.

Hello and thank you for the welcome greeting, I have attached three photos of the Buick I bought right before flying out. The trim is inside the car and I believe that the front suspension may have been altered but I have not been able to get a good look at it. The front tires are shorter than the back but I am trying to decide whether to go the same size all around. I was trying to find out what Buick wheels are currently on the car, maybe 60's era? They have the TRI shaped spoke design for the center cap. I may look at selling them as I am planning on getting the chrome reverse style wheels and wide whites.

Hope you have a good day,

Hamlet

post-2565-14592820640441_thumb.jpg

post-2565-14592820640679_thumb.jpg

post-2565-14592820640873_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep the 64 Buick wheels in mind. I am looking at purchasing some chrome reverse wheels with wide whitewalls and wanted to know if any one has them on their Buick. I thought picking and choosing wheels was an easy ordeal but I am now learning about terms such as offset and back spacing which I was not familiar with. Could any one let me know about which company they preferred for chrome reverse wheels and if they had any issues with fender clearance. I have read that deep dish wheels could strain suspension parts and possibly wheel bearings, is this true? Are there recommendations and suggestions you could offer? Thanks again as I try to understand more of what it takes to get the Buick going again.

Gratefully, Hamlet

• 1 year later...

I'm a new member and also new to the Buicks so I'm learning. Trying to find REAR brake shoes for my '54 Century. Lots of the parts stores (NAPA, Auto Zone etc) have a 12" diameter shoe in the 2.25 width for only about $20/set. My shoes are 12" but only 1.75 inches in width. I'm sure these are stock drums and shoes but the only shoes I'm finding are not cheap (about $60/set) and I would need to have them shipped all the way across country. I'm in the Pacific Northwest.

Anybody know a source for the 1.75" width rear shoes? What about converting to the wider drum as an option? Probably too expensive (seeing drums for about $100/ea) but would be interested to know if they will mount right on the hub with no modifications.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Buzz

I'm a new member and also new to the Buicks so I'm learning. Trying to find REAR brake shoes for my '54 Century. Lots of the parts stores (NAPA, Auto Zone etc) have a 12" diameter shoe in the 2.25 width for only about $20/set. My shoes are 12" but only 1.75 inches in width. I'm sure these are stock drums and shoes but the only shoes I'm finding are not cheap (about $60/set) and I would need to have them shipped all the way across country. I'm in the Pacific Northwest.

Anybody know a source for the 1.75" width rear shoes? What about converting to the wider drum as an option? Probably too expensive (seeing drums for about $100/ea) but would be interested to know if they will mount right on the hub with no modifications.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Buzz

These are good quality and worth the price. Kanter is a good supplier of proper reproduction parts

https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=1100&MakeName=Buick&MakeYear=1954&CategoryID=802&ProductCode=522&Router=Catalog

Another option/opinion....Don't buy off the shelf brakes shoes locally or across the country. Most are too hard and will not stop the car without lots of pedal effort. Stay away from bonded brake shoes. Instead take your old shoes and drums to a local clutch/brake rebuilder and have them line them with material that is aggressive enough to stop 2 tons of Buick and fit the shoes to the drums. At least replace the wheel cylinders if not recently done...a leak will ruin your new shoes.

Willie